Friday 20 August 2010

Rain, rain, go away...

I always thought that the worst thing that could happen on my wedding day was rain. Now, I realise that there are indeed many other things which would be far worse (groom doesn't turn up, dress gets ruined, the venue burns down...) but rain has always been the one thing that every bride dreads.
Other people also worry about it on your behalf and I am convinced it's because of the way us Brits are obsessed with the weather. If you meet a stranger, weather is a topic of conversation that breaks the ice; meet a bride and people will cross their fingers for you hoping for sunshine.

However, no matter how much luck, crossed fingers, sun dancing or other such hopeful jestures, you can't control the weather so I've decided to accept what will be will be. Last weekend, two of our closest friends went to a wedding that they were both quite a big part of and I felt trully awful for the bride and groom as the weather was just the worst. Not even a glimmer of sunshine for the photos.

And that's the main reason why I don't want it to rain on our parade - the photos. I think I'm not alone in saying that the photos are one of the most important parts of the wedding and I have already storybooked our weding album to a certain extent in my mind, knowing the kinds of shots I want. But if it rains, we need to have a plan B to fall back on so that it doesn't but a dampner on things.

It may sound silly to say that the weather could spoil the day - this just isn't true - and now that I have accepted this, I honestly think that on the day I will be fine, come rain or shine, because it is still our special day. We are holding our ceremony and reception at the same venue, Hogarths Hotel, and many of our friends and family are staying at the hotel so getting wet isn't really an issue, apart from having photos outside.

What will be will be and whilst Hogarths doesn't neccessarily have sweeping staircases, a grand hall or other such photographic areas inside, with a little creativity and forward-planning, we should have no problem in getting some amazing shots of each other and our wedding guests if the heavens do decide to open.

No comments:

Post a Comment