Tuesday 17 August 2010

If music be the food of love...

With less than five weeks to go, our attention has turned to confirming all the little details with all our suppliers, our venues and our registrar. As part of this, we've had to make our final decisions when it comes to music because anything used during the ceremony itself has to be approved by the registrar to confirm it's not religious in any way (which it shouldn't be, considering how we chose not to have a church wedding, but you'd be surprised how many people get this wrong!).

Anyways, I love music. Love, love, love it. I have very ecclectic tastes as anyone who knows me will tell you, whereas Ste is a little more fussy. One thing that has helped us with the music choices however is the theme we are using for the day. Now, I can't go and tell you what it is (I'm doing my very best to keep this bit quiet so everything is as much a surprise for our guests as possible) but surfice to say, the theme helps narrow down some music choices.

For me, music is a very emotive part of the day and whilst the evening party is in the hands of our DJ (albeit armed with a list of 'do not play if you value your life' songs) and the requests our guests have made in advance, the pieces we choose for the day have a key role.

We need a processional song (we've chosen Canon in D - always gets me teary)and a recessional song (that's a secret) plus three songs in between for when we are signing the register. Then there's the music for when the guests start to arrive, to help set the mood, then for during the wedding breakfast and then it's the big one - the first dance.

This was decided long ago. Ste and I went to a Travis concert in our early days as a couple and Keane were supporting (noone knew who they were). The song that really stood out for us was Somewhere Only We Know and it reminds us of when we first met so picking the first dance was easy - but knowing how we're going to play it is a whole different thing! We are going to have to start practicing dancing together to this song because we have seen some very pathetic first dances and with all eyes on you, you have to try your best to pull it off.

Now, I love dancing but it's not often we dance together, let alone in a slow and romantic way with 80 guests watching on. We did toy with the idea of doing something funny, or getting other wedding party members involved, but decided that this is your only chance to do a first dance and that whilst nervous as hell, we should enjoy the spotlight for three and a half minutes. So, we're going to get our dancing shoes on and start working out how we want to approach it all. We did look at having a professional dance session but before getting the purse out again, we'll give it a shot ourselves.

We've bit the bullet now and chosen all the key songs for the day. I'm glad that we have taken our time to consider what songs mean something to us, rather than sticking to purely wedding cliche tracklists (although I'm sure the odd cheesy song will get through!). I have no doubt that on the day, we won't even hear half of them, but our guests will and we hope that the music makes them as happy as it makes us.

For those not familiar with Somewhere Only We Know, here are the lyrics:

I walked across an empty land
I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
I felt the earth beneath my feet
Sat by the river and it made me complete

Oh simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin


I came across a fallen tree
I felt the branches of it looking at me
Is this the place we used to love?
Is this the place that I've been dreaming of?

Oh simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin

And if you have a minute, why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go somewhere only we know?
Somewhere only we know


Oh simple thing, where have you gone?
I'm getting old and I need something to rely on
So tell me when you're gonna let me in
I'm getting tired and I need somewhere to begin


And if you have a minute, why don't we go
Talk about it somewhere only we know?
This could be the end of everything
So why don't we go? So why don't we go?


Oh, this could be the end of everything
So why don't we go somewhere only we know?
Somewhere only we know
Somewhere only we know

No comments:

Post a Comment